Monday, October 15, 2012

Signs of Fall


Parasol mushroom


Xtra large

This year our fig tree has been super productive
We've gotten many a bowlful


Acorns have been plentiful this year as opposed to last
when they were noticeably absent

the perils of the gatherer
ヤマビル mountain leeches and ticks
thought it was too cool for them now but I was wrong
bloody mess
it itches like a mosquito bite for days


The processed nut meats after the final roast

after shelling I tried a new processing method

Soak the whole or half nut meats in a large glass container
and change the water 2-3 times per day  for 10-14 days
until the water is clear.  Sometimes I added a little
salt or baking soda to avoid spoilage and remove tannins
but had no problems


I don't have a hand crank grinder for wheat so used
the food processor.  Had to add some water to keep the flour
in the mixing area

A nice firm dough.  I added more sugar, salt and yeast than
I would for a normal loaf to give it some lift.


This loaf was almost 1/2 acorn flour and tasted a bit like
a pumpernickel bread, it got a thumbs up from my wife.










4 comments:

  1. I thought, until a week ago, acorns were not safe to eat. You made bread with half acorn flour. That's neat.

    I didn't know there leeches and ticks in the forests. Maybe we don't have them in Shikoku. I've been out in some thick bush and never saw any. I've thought about it sometimes but just figured we were blessed down here. Haha.

    Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blaine thanks for commenting,

      I thought acorns were only good for bread or pancakes until recently as well, then I found this gem.

      http://honest-food.net/2010/01/14/acorn-pasta-and-the-mechanics-of-eating-acorns/

      The leeches only started in the last few years, after I moved in haha.

      The family and I were down in the upper Shimanto area late in the summer, great place, beautiful river.

      Delete
  2. Look at those figs! and nice acorn scavenging. I liked the second comment from the post you linked to:

    " `heroes of old, when fed with oaken mast, the great trees themselves, in years surpassed’ poem from 14th century england implying extended lifespan, if not heroism."

    Last year I backfilled a 3 meter Japanese Stone Oak, or マテバシイ in Japanese (Lithocarpus edulis) in the garten. It’s evergreen, hearty, upright, majestic, and has nuts very similar to but bigger than Standard Oak acorns. As you well know, I don't live close to the woods - So I've gotta install them.

    More on Acorns here: http://www.sanaturalareas.org/acorns.html

    ken


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken,

    The figs are still coming even though we hit mid to low single digits already, ain't complaining though.

    Looks like you picked the proper oak to plant and I picked the wrong ones to harvest, but hey I like a challenge. I think I'm working with konara and mizunara, best known for high tannins.

    Check this out: http://dongurikorokoro.fc2web.com/syurui.html

    Have you sold any ginko nuts?
    Great stuff over at your blog.

    ReplyDelete