Monday, January 18, 2010

installation 1

Rather than purchase expensive, specially made mounting rails, I've surprise surprise, decided to wing it. A piece of angle aluminum, attached to the frame and bent up slightly by hand.
An old board screwed to house.
The angle aluminum gets screwed to the board.

This will all be painted and silicone caulked
2.72 amps at 20 volts = 50 watts. Right on target .
Scientifically angled at approx 40 degrees due south using my daughters school protractor.
I found I can get 0.20 amps more by increasing the angle to about 45 degrees, but this setting is a compromise between the best angle for summer and the best for winter.
Next, I'll drill a hole through each of the 2 standing seams, (or attach bracket/clamps to the seam )underneath the panels, that each panel rests on. Then the panels will be fastened to the seam with heavy wire. They weigh 6 kilos each and should be secure even in high winds. One more panel to go. Guess we're going to have to add a few "solar nights" to our monthly "candlenight" festivities. Hoping for about 375watt hours per day (half the rated output X available sun hours) or 1KWH per month. Not much, but enough power to light the house every night in a pinch.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

solar panels

Here are 2 of 3 solar panels I recently purchased from a manufacturer in China. These, I believe, do not carry the usual stigma of a MADE IN CHINA label. Most people including myself, sometimes associate that label with shoddy goods. Something's going on here. I've never purchased or used PV's before, but they seem to be well made and of high quality. In preliminary testing they were putting out more than the rated power of 50 watts. The only difference I can find so far is that they are slightly heavier than domestic models, probably because they use cut cells. Most if not all modern Japanese PV's have no void spaces between cells. Therefore less glass is needed, thus less weight. How mine perform in the long run is the real test. I'll let you know in 25 years.

Today I was testing them in cloudy and snowy weather. Even with the sun behind trees they were putting out more power than the best wind turbine I ever made did in high winds. Well that's not saying much for my turbine, but it is saying something for the panels. By importing them myself they were 1/2 the price of the same model sold on the internet, and 1/3 the price of domestically manufactured panels of the same wattage. Of course I'd rather have domestic, but...

I plan on mounting them on the roof of the living room sometime soon, then pick up some semi- deep cycle batteries. I'm re-thinking my plan for microhydro and leaning more towards wind again. The reason for this being cost of the pipeline, expected problems with getting permission to place the pipeline on neighboring land, and mostly, foreseeable damage to the pipeline intake due to flooding. With the wind setup it won't put out nearly as much power as the hydro, but it will be much easier to install, no permission needed. Costs will be the same roughly too.

I've found a good company in the US that makes blades and tail to fit my generator/PMA. All of their testing is done under load, while the batteries are drawing power. In low winds, 10mph , it should make 50 watts. 100watts at 15mph and 200watts at 20mph. And more above this level of course. None of this is spectacular, but it is sufficient for my needs.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

coop and run

The new coop and run for the new ducks. One is definitely a female, the quack is loud and strong. The other 2 have the raspy honk of males, but their appearance is strongly female, hoping for the best. Don't want to be stuck with 4 males and one female.